The investment firms trying to take over Macy’s upped their bid to $6.6bn after it rejected their previous deal

Date:

Share:

[ad_1]

Arkhouse Management and Brigade Capital Management are upping their offer to acquire Macy’s in a deal now valued at $6.6 billion.

The investment firms announced Sunday that they had submitted an all-cash proposal of $24 for each of the remaining shares in Macy’s they don’t already own — up from an earlier offer of $21 per share.

Macy’s rejected the previous deal, which was valued at $5.8 billion, in January. At the time, the retailer said that its board reviewed the investment firms’ proposal and not only had concerns about the financing plan, but also felt there was a “lack of compelling value.”

In a joint-statement Sunday, Arkhouse managing partners Gavriel Kahane and Jonathon Blackwell said that they “remain frustrated by the delay tactics” from Macy’s board and its “continued refusal to engage” — but were still committed to completing the transaction.

Kahane and Blackwell added that they had repeatedly tried to address the company’s concerns, and were open to increasing the purchase price more “subject to the customary due diligence.”

Macy’s on Sunday confirmed that it had received the “revised, unsolicited, non-binding” proposal. The New York-based company said that its board would carefully review the offer, and that it did not intend to comment further until the evaluation was complete.

Last month, Arkhouse moved to nominate nine people for Macy’s board. Macy’s at the time said it had been seeking additional financing information — but that Arkhouse instead sent a letter requesting that the company extend its director nomination window by 10 days.

Arkhouse, meanwhile, said it had provided additional financing details and that the firm requested the deadline extension in hopes of continuing to engage privately. Since that request was rejected, Arkhouse added, the firm nominated directors.

On Tuesday, Macy’s announced it would close 150 namesake stores over the next three years including 50 by year-end after posting a fourth-quarter loss and declining sales. As part of restructuring efforts, the department store chain also said it would upgrade its remaining 350 stores.

Subscribe to the new Fortune CEO Weekly Europe newsletter to get corner office insights on the biggest business stories in Europe. Sign up for free.

[ad_2]

Source link

Subscribe to our magazine

━ more like this

Fire Watch Guard Duties: What They Actually Do When Safety Is on the Line

If your fire alarm system goes down in a commercial building, you don’t get to wait and see what happens. In most U.S. cities,...

Sports Betting Reddit Trends: What Smart Bettors Are Doing Differently

Introduction Over the past few years, Reddit has become one of the most active platforms for bettors looking to improve their strategies. What started as...

The Rise of Specialist Executive Recruitment Firms in the UK

Finding the right senior leader has never been easy. But in today’s fast-moving UK business environment, it has become even harder. Companies face rapid digital...

Why Non-Executive Directors Are Essential for Strong Governance and Business Growth

Did you know that companies with effective non-executive directors (NEDs) can outperform their competitors by up to 20%? This remarkable statistic underscores the vital...

What Canadian Bettors Look for in a Great Sports Betting Experience

What Canadian Bettors Look for in a Great Sports Betting Experience Sports betting has grown quickly across Canada. From casual fans placing weekend wagers to...